These are the top 10 major cryptocurrency coins based on market capitalization.
Here is a quick summary of the primary function of each cryptocurrency coin:
- Bitcoin (BTC) – A store of wealth, digital gold.
- Ethereum (ETH) – Decentralized smart contract platform, allows apps to be built on top of it.
- Cardano (ADA) – Decentralized smart contract platform with lower fees, specific use cases.
- Tether (USDT) – Stablecoin, pegged 1-1 to the US dollar.
- Binance Coin (BNB) – Owned by the largest crypto exchange, Binance.
- Ripple (XRP) – Banker’s coin, settle global payments across borders.
- Solana (SOL) – Decentralized smart contract platform, uses proof of history & proof of stake instead of proof of work.
- Polkadot (DOT) – Multi-chain protocol to allow different blockchains to talk to each other.
- DogeCoin (DOGE) – Meme coin
- USD Coin (USDC) – Stablecoin, pegged 1-1 to the US dollar.
Spencer is an avid globetrotter who achieved financial freedom in his 20s, while trading & teaching across 60+ countries. As a former professional trader in private equity and proprietary funds, he has over 15 years of market experience, and has been featured on more than 20 occasions in the media.